International StudentsMay 3, 2023 2023-11-25 8:15
Rules framed by University Grants Commission (UGC) and notified in its website www.ugc.ac.in will be followed for deciding the eligibility and admissions of International students to various courses offered in DBU. International Students Cell (ISC): DBU has set up an ‘International Students Cell’ to deal with admission and guidance of international students. This Cell will control the admission of the international students and provide necessary guidance for securing admission. All letters relating to international students will be addressed to ‘Incharge International Admissions’ of DBU
1.1 Guidelines for admission of Foreign/International Students
As per guidelines, ‘International Students’ will include the following:
- i) Foreign Students: Students holding passports issued by foreign countries and people of Indian origin who have acquired the nationality of foreign countries are included as foreign students.
- ii) Non Residents Indians (NRI): Only those non resident Indian Students who have studied and passed the qualifying examinations from schools or colleges in foreign countries will be included as international students. This will include the students studying in the schools or colleges situated in foreign countries even if they are affiliated to Boards of Secondary Education or Universities located in India, but will not include students studying in those schools or colleges (situated in India) and affiliated to the Boards of Secondary Education or Universities of the foreign countries. Students passing the qualifying examinations from Boards or Universities located in foreign countries as external students and dependants of NRI studying in India will not be included as International students. Entry level status of International students on entry to the country will be maintained, i.e., if the applicant entered the country through a student visa, it will remain the same throughout the duration of the course. The applicant cannot change the type of visa during the course of the study. Wards of NRI parents are eligible for admissions to NRI category
1.2 Documents required for admission of International Students:
- i) VISA: All the international students will require a ‘Student VISA’ endorsed to Desh Bhagat University, Mandi Gobindgarh, Distt. Fatehgarh Sahib (Punjab) INDIA, PIN -147301 for joining full time courses. No other endorsement is acceptable. Students wishing to join a research program will require a ‘Research VISA’ endorsed to this institution. The visa should be valid for the prescribed duration of the course. Visa may be obtained after issuing offer of admission.
A visa is not required for NRI students. Students who are doing full time courses, in some other institutions, do not require a separate visa for joining ‘Part Time courses’ provided that their current visa is valid for the entire duration of the course.
- ii) All International Students wishing to undertake any research work or join a M.Sc/M.Phil/ PhD program will have to obtain prior security clearance from the Ministry of Home Affairs and the approval of Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and this must be on the student visa/research visa endorsed to this University.
1.3 Eligibility: Qualifications
Only those Students who have qualified from foreign universities or Boards of Higher Education recognized as equivalent by the ‘Association of Indian Universities’ (AIU) are eligible for admission. When required, a reference will be made to AIU to check the equivalence. In case the University /Board is not included in the list, the candidate has to obtain and submit a certificate to this effect from AIU by paying the requisite fee. Submission of Equivalence Certificate from AIU is mandatory for foreign nationals. AIU address is given below.
AIU HOUSE 16, Comrade Indrajit Gupta Marg, New Delhi 110002, India. Phones: (91) -11-23230059, (91)-11-23232429 Fax: (91)-11-23232131 E mail: email@example.com Website: http://www.aiuweb.org
1.4 Admission of International students:
Admission of all the International students will be done through the ‘International Students Cell (ISC)’ of DBU. Students will generally be admitted in the beginning of the course.
Eligible applicants need to certify that the medium of instruction for the qualifying examination passed is English. For applicants who have undertaken their studies in a language other than English need to have a valid IELTS/TOEFL score. Once this is submitted, the final admission is confirmed. The International students will have to pay the fees in US dollars or equivalent in Indian rupees. Fee has to be deposited in the form of Crossed Demand Draft / Bank Pay Order, drawn in favour of, DBU payable at Chandigarh as mentioned in the offer letter. The candidate can also pay the required amount of fee in the Account of DBU from any bank or Credit Card.
1.5 Transfers and change of course
An International student who has been granted admission to a particular course shall not be generally allowed to change the course. Transfer from one institution in India to another is also not allowed ordinarily.
1.6 Procedure for admissions
Stepwise procedure for admission of International Students for Full Time Courses in DBU The procedure for admission is given below:
a). International students should apply on a separate form prescribed for Foreign nationals/NRI/Sponsored candidates.
- b) The candidate preferably has to apply/register on the prescribed form ONLINE only. He/she may also apply Offline. For this the candidate may contact the Incharge Interantional Admissions (Contact No. +91 9875992866) office
c). The application form registration fee of USD 200 is required to be paid through Online/ Bank Transfer to Indusind Bank account(Bank Name- Indusind Bank, Account Name Desh Bhagat University, Account Number- 20108364047, IFSC Code- INDB0000014, Swift Code- INDBINBBCHS) payable at Chandigarh. The candidate can also transfer the required amount of fee in the account of DBU from any bank or credit card. This should be done well in time, so that the student is able to obtain the VISA and No Objection Certificate before the due date of admission.
Get the ‘Provisional Admission Offer Letter’ from the International Admission Cell, in order to obtain the VISA (on payment of non-refundable advance amount of USD 2000 of the total annual fee).
Submit the ‘Provisional Admission Offer Letter’ to the Indian Embassy of the respective country for obtaining the ‘Student VISA’.
Report at DBU for admission. Submit the below mentioned documents (in original along with the attested photo copies) and get them verified by the Office of International Admissions Cell.
- a) Degree/ Pass Certificate of the qualifying examination
- b) Mark list of the qualifying examination
- c) ‘Student VISA’ in Original
- d) A photo copy of the Passport- duly attested by a Notary. Note: The original certificates will be returned to the students immediately after making an endorsement to this effect.
Students are required to undergo the medical fitness examination and get the medical fitness certificate. As per government rules all international students entering India on ‘Student VISA’ have to be tested for HIV and will not be given admission, if found to be positive. All international students will be required to pay prescribed medical fees, which includes the medical insurance cover for the first year. For subsequent years medical insurance fees will be the same as for other Indian students and is included in other fees.
For applicants who have undertaken their studies in a language other than English need to have a valid IELTS/TOEFL Score. It is mandatory for an International / NRI student, who either fails / secures less than the desired scores or fails to appear in this proficiency test, to join the English Language Foundation Course of either 03 months or 06 months duration (depending on the scores secured in the proficiency test). In addition to the annual and other fees of the main program of study at DBU, students will also have to pay for this English Language Foundation Course as per the Institute prescribed fee structure
Admission of International /NRI students will be confirmed after verification of original certificates, medical fitness test and payment of required fees. Even after the admission, at any stage if it is noted that the qualifying Degree/ Certificate is not recognized by AIU, the admission of the candidate may be cancelled. Withdrawal of admissions/ refund of fees cases will be dealt as per the guidelines of DBU in this regard.
Within a week of arrival in India, students are required to register their names with the police in the ‘Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO)’ of Shri Fetehgarh Sahib, Tel.: +91 9875996703 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For registration details please click https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/
The International students should abide by all the rules of DBU and the code of conduct as applicable to Indian students enrolled in the same courses. Examination and award of Degrees & Diplomas: The procedure for examination, payment of examination fees, issue of mark list, issue of passing certificates and award of degrees will be same as for the Indian students doing the same courses.
1.8 Guidelines for admission of NON-RESIDENT INDIAN (NRI)] students
Non Resident Indian Seats (NRI) (Applicable to all Programmes for which NRI seats are allotted): Out of the total approved seats (Seats available) of M.Sc. five seats are set apart as NRI seats with a different fee structure. NRI Status is not essential to apply for these seats. Allotment to NRI seats are made on the basis of meeting eligibility criteria and passing the entrance exam as applicable. Candidates who intend to apply for NRI seats must apply online and secure a valid rank in the prescribed test. Those who intend to be considered to NRI seats should invariably choose “NRI” during the process of online application, remit the application fee of USD 200 Registration fees and should submit the ‘Declaration’ given in Annexure I during the time of admission. Those who have applied for NRI seats shall be considered automatically for Non-NRI seats as their first option and for NRI seats as their second option. If NRI option is not availed during the online application process the candidate will not be able to opt for NRI seats and no modification will be possible at a later stage. However, for spot admissions, if any, all candidates can appear by paying USD 200 as NRI Registration fees, provided balance NRI seats are available.
Note: The above rules and guidelines will be strictly followed. In case, there are any differences on the interpretation of rules then the opinion of the ‘International Students Cell’ will be final. Students will have to pay the revised fee, when applicable. On the points not specifically covered, the decision of competent authorities of DBU will be final.
Contact Address: Arun Malik, Director International
Mobile +91 9875992866