Central LibraryNovember 21, 2022 2023-02-09 3:45
DBU Central Library is fully computerized and all the functions of DBU Central Library and Other Departmental Libraries operate through SIM ERP Software. The DBU Library divided in 05 Departments and 06 Council Libraries in their own School but all the School Libraries operated by DBU Central Library. DBU Central Library AC facility /Peaceful environment/organizing motivational lectures/ Organizing quiz competition/Organizing user orientation programs. DBU Central Library has one separate reading hall, including one exclusively for faculty and research scholars are available. In addition to these reading space is available in the learner’s zone, Community library and Print theses sections as well. DBU Central Library and including all the department libraries have 650 + seating capacity.
The above activities and facilities attract the students toward Library.
Collection of books in DBU Central Library:
- Faculty of Engineering & Applied Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Business Management & Commerce
- Faculty of Library & Information Technology
- Faculty of Design
Rest of Libraries is their own Faculty building (due to council norms):
- Faculty of Legal Studies
- Faculty of Dental Surgery
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Hotel Management
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Ayurveda
The mission of the DBU Central Library is to promote the ability to seek, evaluate, and employ DBU Central Library resources in the full exercise of freedom of inquiry, which is an integral part of the education of students. To this end, the DBU Central Library develops collections which uphold the learning and teaching objectives of a strong University; organizes and provides both intellectual and physical access to materials and guides members of our academic community toward a grasp of bibliographic and technical skills which facilitate use of the collections at hand and information resources worldwide.
Goals for Library
- To Serve Our Academic Community.
- By teaching students to seek, evaluate, and use information in their studies at University and in preparation for their responsibilities towards the nation.
- By working with in co-ordination of HODs & faculty to meet faculty & student needs for information.
- By providing faculty and other staff with resources they need to fulfill their educational mission.
- By implementing policies and procedures, which encourage full and responsible use of the Library resources and services by all who use it.
- By developing links to other information centers, libraries, organizations, and networks for resource sharing in order to expand the resources available to the Library users.
- To Develop, Organize and Maintain Collections
- By acquiring materials with subject emphases in accord with the curriculum.
- By organizing the collections and providing full bibliographic and physical access to materials.
- By developing and maintaining databases and information management systems that provide effective and efficient access to Library materials and resources of interest to our academic community.
- By maintaining the collections as responsible Information Resource Manager using proven storage and retrieval techniques.
- To Administer Resources Effectively
- By ensuring that facilities are adequate to house and service the collections; that space and environment allow both users and staff to work productively; and that equipment and systems used to carry out the programs of the Library are equal to the tasks we need to accomplish.
- By reviewing and evaluating, on a regular basis, our mission and goals, policies, programs, personnel, equipment, systems, and facilities in order to improve effectiveness in accomplishing our mission in accordance with our quality policies.
- By recognizing that our success depends upon human resources and implementing policies, which foster staff development.
- By establishing a dialogue with all segments of the academic community, which promotes understanding of Library policies, programs and needs, and facilitates our awareness of developments, which have implications for the Library.
By actively planning for the future role of the Library in the University in light of technical developments in the storage, retrieval and transfer of information and changes in the educational program.
Each library has adequate number of work stations to facilitate searching/accessing OPAC, e-resources, web browsing and for other academic works. Provision has also been made to allow downloading/printing of material from these resources. DBU Central Library and the entire department Library has installed excellent ICT infrastructure with adequate bandwidth for fast and seamless access to Internet. Desh Bhagat University Libraries are also a member of EBSCO, DELNT, DVL Dentistry & Oral Science and AIR INFOTRACK (LAW) emphasis is given by Desh Bhagat University to make the Library as a happening place on its all Campuses.
The DBU Library which was once started in the year 1996 is now known as Desh Bhagat University Central Library and it exists on the 1st floor of the Student Center Building. The covered area of DBU Central Library is 16,000 sq. ft. DBU Central Library & all the council libraries provide AC facility /Peaceful environment. DBU Central Library has one separate reading hall, including one exclusively for faculty and research scholars are available. In addition to these reading space is available in the learner’s zone, Community library and Print thesis sections as well. DBU Central Library and including all the department libraries have 650 + seating capacity. Adequate space is provided for browsing and relaxed reading. Libraries also have carrels as well as research scholars/faculty rooms for quiet and serious studies. Libraries at all campuses are equipped with adequate number of sign boards and guides for smoother and convenient movement of goods, services and users the library has open access to its collection for all student, faculty and staff. All buildings have fire detection alarm and freighting systems installed. Library building has escalators and lifts for easy and convenient access to differently-abled users.
Desh Bhagat University Central Library exists on the 1st floor of the Student Centre Building. DBU Central Library contains various sections viz. Acquisition and Processing Section, Circulation Section, Periodical Section, Reference Section, Faculty and Research Scholar’s Reading Area and Security Check point on the main gate. Circulation Zone-Central Area (Issue/ Return Counter, Reprography Section, Community Library).
Collection of books in DBU Central Library:
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Business Management & Commerce
- Faculty of Library & Information Technology
- Faculty of Design
- Text Books Section
- Reference book Section
- Periodical Section
- E- Resource Lab
- Thesis & Dissertation Section
- Back Volume & Project Reports Section
|Working hours (on working days, on holidays, before examination, during examination, during vacation)|
|Working Days||8.00 am to 5.00 pm|
|Holidays||10.00 am to 4.00 pm|
|Before Examination||8.00 am to 6.00 pm|
|During Examinations||8.00 am to 7.00 pm|
|During Vacation||10.00 am to 4.00 pm|
Open Educational Resources
e-PG Pathshala:-e-PG Pathshala is an initiative of the MHRD, which provides high quality, curriculum-based interactive e-content in 70 subjects across all disciplines of social sciences, arts, fine arts and humanities, natural & mathematical sciences, linguistics, and languages.
Virtual Labs: Virtual Labs project is an initiative of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India under the aegis of National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT). This project is a consortium activity of twelve participating institutes and IIT Delhi is coordinating institute. Under the Virtual Labs project, over 100 Virtual Labs consisting of approximately 700+ web-enabled experiments were designed for remote-operation and viewing. The intended beneficiaries of the projects are:
- All students and Faculty Members of Science and Engineering Colleges who do not have access to good lab‐facilities and/or instruments.
- High‐school students, whose inquisitiveness will be triggered, possibly motivating them to take up higher studies. Researchers in different institutes who can collaborate and share resources.
- Different engineering colleges who can benefit from the content and related teaching resources.
Swayam Prabha: The SWAYAM PRABHA is a group of 32 DTH channels devoted to telecasting of high-quality educational programmes on a 24X7 basis using the GSAT-15 satellite. The contents are provided by NPTEL, IITs, UGC, CEC, IGNOU, NCERT and NIOS. The INFLIBNET Centre maintains the web portal.
Vidya-Mitra: Vidya-mitra is an online learning portal for all the e-content projects developed under the NME-ICT (National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology), MHRD. The portal provides the facility to search and browse all hosted content wherein a learner can easily access the desired material including audio/video learning material, textual material, multimedia-enriched materials etc. through a single interface.
The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Laerning (NPTEL)
The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Laerning (NPTEL), a project funded by Ministry of Human Resource Development India (MHRD), provides e-learning through online Web and Video courses in engineering, sciences, technology, management and humanities. The mission of NPTEL is to enhance the quality of engineering education in the country by providing free online courses are. The main objective of NPTEL program is to enhance the quality of engineering education in the country by developing curriculum based video and web courses. This is being carried out by IITs (Seven), IISc Bangolore and other premier institutions as a collaborative project. These course materials adhering to the syllabi of All India Council for Technical education and the slightly modified curricula of major affiliating Universities. It has developed curriculum based video courses and web-based e-courses targeting students and faculty of institutions offering UG engineering programs. Our faculty members and students are advised to make use of these video and web courses for their teaching and study. For more on NPTEL please visit http://nptel.ac.in
National Digital Library: NDL
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) has initiated the National Digital Library of India (NDL India) pilot project to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time. It is being arranged to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular form of access devices and differently-abled learners. It is being developed to help students to prepare for entrance and competitive examination, to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources. The pilot project is devising a framework that is being scaled up with respect to content volume and diversity to serve all levels and disciplines of learners. It is being developed at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
Learning Resource Type
Books: More than 7 Lakh Books 3 Lakh Authors in 70 Languages
Thesis: More tha 95,000+ Thesis of IIT
Audio Lectures: More 250+ Audio Lectures
Manuscripts also available
Video Lectures: 18000+ Video Lectures also available
Question Papers: 330000 Question Papers
Web Courses from different domains
Technical Reports and many more resources available
Click on the link below to Register:
Developing Library Network:DELNET
DELNET has been established with the prime objective of promoting resource sharing among the libraries through the development of a network of libraries. It aims to collect, store, and disseminate information besides offering computerized services to users, to coordinate efforts for suitable collection development and also to reduce unnecessary duplication wherever possible.
The University has subscribed DELNET that provides Inter-Library Loan and Document Delivery Services.
DELNET is offering inter-Library loan & Document Delivery Services to its member libraries. ILL requests can be registered online for books. For the resources not available in the union catalogues and journal articles, requests can be sent to DELNET through e-mail.
Also compiled all the given below links as an online resource data already linked on digital Library link:
Basic Circulation Services:
General books for normal loan can be borrowed out at the Circulation Counter. Borrowing privileges for the various categories of users are as follows:
- Students may borrow a maximum of 3 books at a time for 14 days.
- Book Bank Members may borrow a maximum of 5 Books at a time for entire semester.
- Research Scholars have been given a privilege to borrow the books for 30 days at a time.
- Faculty members may borrow a maximum of 6 books at a time for entire semester.
- Non-teaching staff may borrow a maximum 2 books at a time for 30 days.
- Currents issues and unbound issues of journals are to be used only in the Library.
- Reference materials are to be used only within the Library. However faculty members may borrow certain reference materials at the discretion of the Director/Librarian.
CD’s & Audio-Visual Materials
- All CD’s & audio-visual materials are to be used in the Library. However they may be issued on specific request basis for a day or two. Faculty may borrow certain audio-visual materials for 1 week.
- Thesis/Dissertations/project reports may be borrowed for 2 hours.
- Thesis/Dissertations/project reports are not to be brought out of the DBU Central Library.
- Photocopies of Thesis/Dissertations and project reports can only be made on written permission by the author or appropriate authority.
Other Library Materials
- For the borrowing of other Library materials, borrowers are to consult the Librarian.
Specialized Services provided by the DBU Central Library:
- Reference Service
- WEB- OPAC Service
- Internet Access
- In-house/remote access to e-resources
- User Orientation
- Assistance in searching Databases
Book Bank Facility:
Library has a Book Bank facility, which is very much helpful in fulfilling student’s requirement for the prescribed books on semester basis. Book Bank functions as one section of the library.
- Membership of the Book Bank is optional.
- Membership is open to all SC/ST and economically poor students of Desh Bhagat University.
- Students desirous to become the member of the Book Bank will be required to pay the requisite fees.
- Members will be required to renew their membership at the commencement of each year.
- Membership will be treated cancelled as and when students leave the University.
- A fee of Rs. 500/- will be charged on annual basis for two semesters.
- Security money of Rs. 1000/- will be required to be deposited separately, which will be refundable on the withdrawal of membership.
Circulation of books for book bank members
- A student may get a maximum of three books from the Book Bank at a time.
- Books will be issued at beginning of each semester as per the schedule notified for the purpose.
- Books will be issued for whole semester. Members will be required to deposit the books after the completion of the exam as per the schedule notified.
- A fine will be levied if book will not be returned as per the schedule.
- Members will be responsible for any damage caused for the books. Members are advised to verify the physical condition of the books at time of its lending.
- If a book is lost the member will be required to provide the replacement of book and pay the overdue fine if any.
- Books will be issued on first come first served basis.
Library’s operation and services are fully computerized with “SIM ERP” multi-user Integrated Library Automation Software. Bibliographic records of Desh Bhagat University Library’s holdings can be, accessed through the SIM ERP Web OPAC (On-line Public Access Catalogue). It allows searches by keywords or through several access points like author, title, subject, publisher and year of publication. The system is extremely user friendly and enables searches to be conducted with ease and speed. Database of library books is being updated on day-to-day basis with details of recently acquired books.
Lounge areas for browsing and relaxed reading with 20 networked computers are available in the DBU Central Library and 30 in all the council libraries for Library users and Separate IT Zone with 30 Computers segregate with write on desktop for use of NDL/ NPTL/ DELNET/ EBSCO etc.
The Library is equipped with state of the art facility which includes 100 nodes for Wi-Fi network in addition to wired connectivity. A good number of computers in DBU Central Library & all the department libraries are dedicated for library users for access subscribed & open e- Resources. Resources like digital scanners, printers, photocopiers and surveillance system for security etc. are available for the library users.
|Print (books, back volumes and thesis)|
a) EBSCO, DELNT, DVL Dentistry & Oral Science and AIR INFOTRACK (LAW)
DVL Dentistry & Oral Science: https://portal.dvirtuallibrary.org/
AIR INFOTRACK (LAW): Access in LAW Library
b) Electronic (e-books, e-journals): EBSCO, DELNT (11388 free e- books), DVL Dentistry & Oral Science (164 e-books) and 39000 +(e-books) open resources also accessible in the DBU Central Library
c) Non Print (2500+ (CDs and DVDs)
Purpose of Library Rules & Regulations
- The main purpose of these rules is to safeguard the common interest of all users and to enable the Library to carry out its functions as efficiently as possible.
- The Library Rules & Regulations are approved by the University management.
- Any person in the Library or using Library services is assumed to have undertaken to observe the Library Rules & Regulations.
- All other relevant University Regulations, rules and codes of conduct also apply to the users of the Library.
(USER means any person making use of Library materials, services or facilities).
- No bags, umbrellas, parcel, etc except files may be brought into the DBU Central Library and all the Council Libraries. Personal belongings may be kept at the property counter provided at the entrance at the owner’s risk. The Library will not accept responsibility for the loss or misplacement of personal belongings.
- Users are not permitted to consume food or drink in the DBU Central Library, or to engage in conduct or bring into the DBU Central Library any item liable to cause damage to Library property or premises.
- Use of mobile phone is strictly prohibited inside the Library.
- Users must not engage in conduct to the disturbance of others. Silence must be maintained in the DBU Central Library Reading Room Area. Conversation and noise must be kept to a minimum elsewhere.
- Users must not act disrespectfully or abusively to other users or to members of the Library staff.
- Users must be decently dressed and conduct themselves properly in the Library.
- Reservation of seats is not permitted. The Library staff may remove books and other articles left for any length of time on chairs and tables.
- The Library staff on duty has the right to request a user to leave the premises if he/she is found to be violating any of the Library rules.
- Users will be asked to vacate the Library ten minutes before closing time and all users must vacate the premise.
- Users are to vacate the Library at any other time when requested to do so.
- Users shall not damage or misuse Library services, materials, property, equipment or premises in any way.
- Users must comply with the current legislation on copyright, data protection and computer misuse.
- Users of the Library photocopying services shall comply with the extents of copying allowable under the Copyright Act and will be held personally responsible by the University for any breach of this Act.
- All persons leaving the Library shall ensure, before reaching the point of exit, that all Library property in their possession has been duly authorized for removal from the Library
- The Library staff may inspect articles in the possession of any person in the Library.
- On leaving the Library, all users are required to produce for inspection all books and items taken out of the Library and have to make an entry in the Check-Out Register.
- Library staff cannot undertake to locate or transmit personal messages to persons believed to be in the Library.
- The Librarian is empowered to withhold Library facilities for any infringement of these rules.
- Users failing to observe the regulations on Borrowing may be subject to fines and to suspension from further borrowing until all loans have been cleared and any fines or compensation paid. Fines are payable immediately and in full.
- Users may be required to pay in full compensation for any items borrowed in their name, which are not returned to the Library or for any damage, defacement or loss in respect of Library equipment, premises, services or materials (including those obtained through the Library -inter library loans service).
- Users found damaging or stealing Library property will be referred to University Disciplinary Committee.
- Failure to pay fines, to return items or to pay full compensation is treated as a debt to the University.
- Any user in breach of any Library Regulation may be required to pay a fine or compensation, or may be suspended from the use of the Library for entire semester or for a stated period.
General rules of circulation
- Items loaned to a user are for the personal use of that user only and remain the responsibility of the user until they are returned to the Library.
- All items on loan shall be returned by their due date and time.
- Library users are requested to verify the physical condition of the book/document at the time of its lending. They will be held responsible for any damage caused thereafter.
- All items on loan may be subject to recall before their due dates if requested by another user, by the Librarian. Recalled items shall be returned without delay.
- All items on loan shall be returned on expiry of membership of the Library. University staff and student membership expires when employment or attendance at University ceases.
- Library users for whom items are obtained through the Library-inter library Loans service of Desh Bhagat University Libraries shall abide by any conditions imposed on the use of these items.
- The Library staff cannot be held responsible for non-delivery of Library notices about overdue or recalled books or other matters.
- The Librarian may lend, refuse to lend, or restrict the circulation of any item, or recall any item from loan at any time.
- Borrowers are to produce their Library membership/Identity cards when borrowing Library materials.
- No books or Library materials may be brought out of the Library until the loan has been recorded. Unauthorized removal of Library materials is regarded as a very serious offence.
- The normal loan period for books is two weeks. The Library however, may fix varying loan periods for different types of materials or users as it deems fit.
- All borrowers must, at the end of each semester, settle any overdue loans before they are permitted to borrow again.
Arrangement of books on the shelves
- Books are arranged and sorted on basis of course, semester and subject. The purpose of classification with Dewey Decimal Classification 22nd ed. is to locate books on similar subjects close together on the shelves and to allow new titles to be incorporated with them.
- Library has a Book Bank facility, which is very much helpful in fulfilling student’s requirement for the prescribed books on semester basis. Book Bank functions as one section of the library.
Membership Rules & Regulations:
- Faculty & Staff: Faculty & staff may become the member of the Library after getting their Staff ERP identity cards.
- Students: All the students of Desh Bhagat University Library become the member of the Library after getting their Student ERP identity cards issued by ERP department.
Loss and Damage
Borrowers will be held responsible for materials out on loan. If the material is lost, an immediate report should be made to the Librarian to enable appropriate action to be taken. The borrower will have to replace the book and pay the overdue fine if any. If the book is one of a set or series they may be asked to pay/replace for whole set or series.
Books must be returned by the due date or earlier if recalled by the Librarian. Failure to return a book by the date specified will be treated as a serious offence.
The Library will endeavor to send overdue notices but will not be held responsible for non-delivery, under whatever circumstances.
Overdue fine levied on borrowers for books is as follows:
- 2/ per day per item for books and bound volumes of serials.
- 5/- per day per item for reference books.
Library materials, which have been borrowed, may be renewed if another user has not reserved them. Users need to bring the books to the Library for getting them re-issued
|Dr. Payare Lal||Librarian||Ph. D Lib. & Inf. Sci., M. Phil Lib. & Inf. Sci.,||38 Years||Library Automation, Indexing, Referral Service & Library Classification|
|Dr. Parminder Singh||Deputy Librarian||Ph. D Lib. & Inf. Sci., M. Phil Lib. & Inf. Sci.,||12.8 Years||Library Automation & Library Classification|
|Ms. Pardip Kaur||Assistant Librarian/||M. Lib. & Inf. Sci., M. Phil Lib. & Inf. Sci.||9 Years||Library Cataloguing|
|Ms. Sunita Mittal||Assistant Librarian||M. Lib. & Inf. Sci., UGC NET||1Year||Library Classification|
|Mr. Jarnail Singh||Assistant Librarian||M. Lib. & Inf. Sci.||Library Automation & Library Classification|
|Ms. Pritpal Kaur||Assistant Librarian||M. Lib. & Inf. Sci.||2.6 Years||Library Automation & Library Classification|
|Ms. Yogita Sharma||Assistant Librarian||M. Lib. & Inf. Sci.||12.6 Years||Library Classification|
|Ms. Harpreet Kaur||Library Assistant||B. Lib. & Inf. Sci.||13 Years||Library Classification|
|Ms. Manjeet Kaur||Library Restorer||B. Lib. & Inf. Sci.||5 Years||Library shelving|
|Mr. Varinder Singh||Library Restorer||B. Lib. & Inf. Sci.||5 Years||Library shelving|